SKIP navigation
College of Education

FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

Teacher Certification Questions:

How long does it take to get a teaching certificate if I already have a 4-year degree?
It depends on the content of your previous degree and the area(s) in which you want to pursue certification. It is a major change, and as a general "rule of thumb" the time is 2 1/2 years. You are earning a professional license. Core education classes are needed for certification and these classes are sequential in nature. Class work and field experiences must be completed sequentially to obtain knowledge and skills that are prerequisites for the next course in the sequence.

Depending on what your degree is in, and what you are interested in teaching, you may be eligible for TAP (Teacher Academy Project). This is a 12 month program designed for individuals who already hold an undergraduate degree in a field related to a secondary content area (math, science, foreign language, etc.). For more information, visit the TAP page at:

How do I find information about course work requirements?
Specific course work requirements are located on our website at:

What is the difference between a field endorsement and a subject endorsement?
For Nebraska Teacher Certification in Secondary Education, UNO requires two subject endorsements or one field endorsement. Subject endorsements are in a specific area such as History and Math, or Physics and English. Field endorsements are broader in coverage, such as Social Science or Language Arts which cover several areas within the "field".

What are areas of high demand for teachers?
For general guidelines on areas of high demand, visit: or

I don’t have a degree but have many years of experience. Will my job/life experience be counted toward my requirements for Nebraska Teacher Certification?
No. Requirements for Nebraska Teacher Certification are closely regulated by state standards. Requirements for Nebraska Teacher Certification can be found at:

I don’t have certification now but I want to get certified to teach in the State of Nebraska?
Please visit our website at:
The FIRST step is admission to UNO. The undergraduate admission form is at:

What is the difference between an endorsement and certification?
Certification refers to licensure to teach. Endorsement is the area in which you chose to teach, i.e. elementary, secondary math, special education, etc.

What do I do if I have certification in another state?
Consult the Nebraska Department of Education for requirement information at: or 402-471-0739

How do I get a Substitute Teaching Certificate?
The Nebraska Department of Education has information about certification for substitute teaching. Please visit their website at:

I have a teaching certificate that has expired, what do I need to do to get it renewed?
For information on renewing an expired certificate, please visit the College of Education’s certification page at: