|Physical Activity in Health Promotion concentration students become well prepared for management positions in:
- Worksite health promotion managers/directors
- community, private, and clinical such as YMCAs/YWCAs, health/fitness clubs and hospital health/fitness programs
- community childhood obesity positions (health departments, hospital programs)
- Research/Graduate Assistants for PhD programs in related fields
- Physical Activity implementation in community-based and hospital-based settings
- Weight management in community-based/hospital-based settings
Students receive a multidisciplinary academic background. Curriculum is based on competencies from:
Special Admission Requirements for physical education pedagogy, physical education coaching, exercise science without an internship, exercise science with an internship, and Physical Activity in Health Promotion concentrations.
- Worksite Health Promotion Directors,
published by AWHP (Association for Worksite Health Promotion)
- Health/Fitness Directors,
published by ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine)
In addition to normal requirements, the following are required:
Upon entering program, students attend an orientation session and receive orientation manual containing valuable information to help student be successful in this program.Students may opt for:
- Two letters of recommendation sent directly to HPER
- GRE score of 800 (Verbal + Quantitative)
- Statement of goals and rational for entering graduate program (maximum of 300 words)
Click here for Graduate Course DescriptionsClick below for Course Worksheets:
- MS (30 hours including a thesis research project) or
- MA (36 hours, non-thesis track which requires a comprehensive exam).
MA Physical Activity in Health Promotion Worksheet MS Physical Activity in Health Promotion Worksheet
Putting theory into practice is emphasized in the Physical Activity in Health Promotion concentration by providing students with a wide variety of practical and professional experiences. Students have the opportunity to become directly involved with many of the national recognized health/fitness programs in the Omaha area while they are working toward their Master's degree.
In 1997, the School of HPER received AWHP's award for Outstanding Academic Graduation Program. Graduates of UNO's School of HPER Master programs manage health/fitness programs throughout the country!
*Updates to the required courses are currently being made.
*Questions in regards to the course requirements can be directed to: 402-554-2670